Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My wine department

I decided to write about the department that has inspired this blog for my second post. Before working here I had almost no wine knowledge. I had tasted some sparkling wines and a chardonnay, and for a twenty-two year old recent college graduate, my experiences were surprisingly limited. I think I always had a desire to taste more, but I rarely had the funds or opportunity to do so. So when I was hired five months ago, specifically for the wine and beer department, I knew I wanted to take full advantage of it. 



Within my first few weeks of working, I quickly realized that I knew close to nothing about wine. To be honest, I didn't know that the type of wine was the varietal of grape/fruit (ie merlot comes from merlot grapes). However, I am fortunate enough to have an amazing supervisor who took the time to explain well beyond the basics to me. I will probably make a post solely about Claire, because she has given me so much; and as a successful woman in the wine industry, has inspired me completely. Together, we went through each of the wine sections, and she mentioned brief tasting notes on the variety, pairings, and her top picks at each price point. After that, I could basically regurgitate to customers what her suggestions were, but without any personal tasting experiences, that was about it. 


Again, thanks to Claire and the amazing store that I work at, I have been able taste a variety of wines almost every week at our thursday night wine tastings. These weekly 1 oz pours have allowed me try wines from around the world, at all price points, and many varietals. What I have enjoyed the most about these demos, aside from the priceless interactions with customers, is the fact that I have had the opportunity to meet and converse with professionals in the wine industry. This includes not only distributors, but wine makers and entrepreneurs. Speaking to them about their own experiences working in wine has broadened my knowledge even more. I am now able to successfully hand sell a good portion of the bottles we have on the shelf. I also have my personal favorites that I get excited about, and am especially proud of when a customer takes one home. I have also adopted the habit of petting bottles, which is completely normal in this line of work.


This department has changed me. Okay, maybe not literally the department. But it's the fruit, the bottles, the geography, the history, and the people who have devoted their lives to sharing this art with others that have touched me. I am excited to be beginning my own journey in this field and I feel so fortunate to have found a profession that excites me daily, makes me ask questions, and entices me for more. I don't know if I would have had the courage to embark on this path without the influence of certain people. I want to thank my mother for recognizing my passion, encouraging me to begin this blog, and to dive in! And as stated above, thank you Claire for being a true role model.

I am a twenty two year old psychology graduate who has fallen in love with wine. This is my journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment