Thursday, April 25, 2013

Three very different wines, three very different impressions- Spanish Grenache, New Zealand Pinot Noir, and a California Barbera (my fav!)

Today I was fortunate enough to take home three very unique wines. Although we won't be carrying two of the three, I still wanted to take the time to write about them. I apologize for the crappy photo quality as well! I have not been posting as frequently as I want, so as soon as I got home, I wanted to get this out! On to the reviews!



#1: Pegaso Barrancos de Pizarra Vino de la Tierra de Castilla y Leon 2009- Spain

This wine, a dusty red, has ripe fruit on the nose. Possibly strawberry. There were notes of raspberries and some spice. It has some body and was tannic for a Grenache. However I found it to be lighter and more acidic than other previous grenaches I've had. All in all, not awful, but for the price (above $20 I do believe) I have had better (and at a MUCH lower price point). Would be good with grilled meats, and cheeses.

#2: Felton Road Bannockburn Pinot Noir 2010- New Zealand

This wine was super interesting! On the nose, earth floor, berries, mint, and olive. I think the olive through me for a loop when I first approached this wine. Medium bodied, well rounded tannins, oaky and light. On the palette, jammy fruit, licorice, and COLA! Wow, that cola was very unexpected as well! The finish was somewhat short. I did enjoy the Felton Road Pinot, however I've had much better for less! However, for the potential $40+, it was an interesting experience. New Zealand isn't the first country that comes to mind when I think of Pinots, so this wine was more of a way for me to expand my palette.

#3: Serafina Cellars Barbera 2009- Amador County, California

Well, I might be a bit biased on my liking of this one because Barbara's just might be one of my favorite varietals... That being said, this wine is also really nice, and for a "new world" style wine I truly enjoyed it (I much prefer old world, Italian Barberas). This deep ruby colored wine has a bright fruit on the nose. On the palette, blackberry, spice, some oak, and anise. Well rounded tannins and structured acidity, followed by a medium finish! Would be PERFECT with pasta, grilled meats, and any tomato dishes! Really enjoyed it, and for $16.99, I think a relatively good deal!

Xoxo






No comments:

Post a Comment